One of fifteen distinguished students from Miami to become a recipient of The Miami Herald / El Nuevo Herald Silver Knight Awards, Kaley Schwartz is the eighth student from New World School of the Arts (NWSA) high school to receive the prestigious silver statue. Selected from the Art category nominations, Kaley’s project entailed drawing portraits of children in the Cardiac Unit of Miami Children’s Hospital and donating them to their parents. “By capturing the innocence and beauty of a child in a portrait without the heartache of medical tubes and wires, I feel I am giving the families hope and peace,” said Schwartz.
NWSA has numerous activities taking place throughout the year both on and off campus. We use two services in order to reduce the use of paper! NWSA will be sending important reminders about events using text messages and blackboard connect. You are automatically signed up for blackboard connect when you place your email on the emergency contact card.
Remind101 is a text service that allows teachers and students to sign up and receive important information and reminders on their phone. Sign up now to receive updates on important deadlines, meetings and school sponsored events! To subscribe, text 206-496-0683 with the message: @c3ab4, then according to class: @pigeon2018, @blue2017, @red2016, or @yello2015.
Text “list” to list all subscriptions, and “stop” to unsubscribe all. Additional help returned by texting “help”.
If you would prefer email contact send an email to email@example.com, for instance, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dear parents, families, and friends of New World,
The Senior Class of 2014 cordially invites you to the 2014 New World School of the Arts graduation reception. This reception will be held on Wednesday May 28th at the conclusion of the graduation ceremony in the lobby of MDC Building 8. The New World School of the Arts Jazz band will be performing a selection of pieces, and fresh hors d’oeuvres, drinks, and small dessert will be served.
Hope to see you there!
The Senior Class of 2014
This is the summary show of the senior class’s four years of visual arts exploration at New World. Come enjoy with them as they walk across this important threshold in their lives!
Students attending prom on Friday, May 2nd, 2014 will be dismissed at 11:25 am as per the previously arranged field trip form.
If there is a need for earlier dismissal due to an emergency, a parent or guardian listed on the emergency contact card must physically present themselves to room 5605 and see Ms. Alvarez or Ms. Pazos for approval.
This is Ms. Alvarez with important reminders for the month of May:
- Thursday, May 1st, Interim Progress Reports will be distributed to students during their homeroom class.
- Thursday, May 1st and Friday May 2nd are the US History EOC Makeups.
- Friday, May 2nd is the Senior Prom at Hotel Intercontinental. Prom will be from 7:00 PM to 11:00 PM. Any students signing out early MUST have a parent physically present.
- Saturday, May 3rd, there will be SAT testing for those Juniors and Seniors who have registered.
- Monday, May 5th-Friday, May 16th we will begin with AP Testing. Please visit the NWSA site (under high school activities calendar) for detailed information.
- Monday, May 5th-Friday, May 9th are the Biology EOC exams.
- Friday, May 9th is the opening of the High School Spring Dance Concert at the New World Dance Theater located on the 8th floor at 7:30 PM. General admission is $12.00. May 10th, 15th, 16th and 17th are additional dates for this performance.
- Monday, May 12th -Wednesday, May 14th is the Algebra I EOC exams.
- Wednesday, May 14th-Saturday, May 17th, All in the Timing will be held in the Louise O. Gerrits Theater located on the 8th floor at 7:30 PM. General admission will be $12.00. Sunday, May 18th, they will have this performance at 2:00 PM.
- Monday, May 19th and Tuesday, May 20th are the Geometry EOC exams.
- Thursday, May 22nd, they High School Wind Ensemble, Orchestra and Camerata will be performing at the Miami Dade College North Campus in the Lehman Theater. This performance will begin at 7:00 pm. General admission will be $10.00.
- Thursday, May 22nd, the High School Dance Senior Showcase will begin at 2:00 PM and at 7:30 PM in the New World Dance Theater. General admission will be $5.00.
- Monday, May 26th is Memorial Day. NWSA will be closed.
- Tuesday, May 27th, there will be a PTSA General Meeting at 6:00 PM.
- Wednesday, May 28th is the Graduation Ceremony at the Olympia Theater at Gusman Center at 7:30 PM.
- Friday, May 30th is the Senior Showcase Exhibition at NWSA Artseen Gallery at 6:00 PM.
- Friday, May 30th is the End of Year Chorus Concert at First Presbyterian Church at 7:00 PM.
The senior prom is this Friday, May 2, at the Intercontinental Hotel, 7:00-11:00 pm.
Seniors are excused from school at lunch time.